If you have a smaller apartment and are looking for a fun project to expand the space and look aesthetically pleasing in your bedroom, this is the tutorial for you!
If you do not have the tools or access to as much would, a simple alternative would be to use an old bureau’s drawers. You simple take out the drawers and organize your things inside, sliding them in order underneath the bed.
You can also use this technique with bins from stores like Target, Walmart or even Amazon. Taking our drawers and organizing them in a fashion to fit under where they need to be is one of the most simple alternatives to buying a bed with under storage.
- But if you want to build to custom fit, then you’ll need a strong wood to support the weight of the bed and your body (or bodies on top). You will need this plank of wood to be the width and length of your bed +1 inch on each side for security measures.
- Then take your plywood of the same length measurements, using a nail gun to secure them to the platform. Repeat this for every side.
- Then take wood slabs that measure 1 foot by 1 foot (4 to create a square) and then nail gun those together to create a box, with one opening. But make sure you do not attach the “bottom” of the box until you have nail gunned the to the bottom of the bed. Then nail gun the bottom plank to the rest of the box. Much like a shelf. Repeat this step for each side, as many as needed to fit the length of the bed.
- You can paint this wood whatever color you want. Make sure to sand and polish so no splinters are acquired.
- Have fun and apply this technique to the rest of the places in your house that need their storage expanded!